Friday, January 23, 2009

So Here's a Creepy Topic...

Morbid as this might be, I´d like to blog about burial rituals here in Mexico. My interest in this topic first began in Acanceh last year (some of you will recall) where we went to visit a graveyard and we found a decaying human body in a box. After this past weekend in Santa Elena (the mummies), I had to ask around a little more to figure out what the heck is up in this country.

First of all, most people here in the city are cremated. There is not enough space to bury people, and there isn’t much topsoil before you hit an impossibly thick and unyielding layer of limestone. I explained this in an email home last year, but I will debrief new followers: In the small pueblos, they rent graveyard space. Usually each family has one or two plots. So if granny dies, they put her in a cement box in the graveyard. If gramps follows shortly thereafter, they pop the lid of granny´s tomb, put her in a box, and put gramps in there. They might put the box of granny in with gramps, but they also might just leave granny on top of the grave. To me, this is very strange, and almost frightening... the graveyard in Acanceh was littered with human skeletons.

Secondly, the churches. I never understood last year why I would see stone slabs inside the church, lining the walls and floor that had epitaphs on them. I just thought they were commemorative plaques, so to speak. Come to find out, behind and underneath these epitaphs are cremated remains. Someone told me that they sometimes just body parts, such as a hand or an eye, but I don’t think that I really buy that.

Finally… the Day of the Dead on Nov. 2. Isn’t it so interesting that this day is celebrated widely? The fact that death is something to celebrate in general is kind of a foreign concept. I can’t ever imagine thinking: “Well, I guess I will cook a feast for my great grandfather. I hope he likes tacos.” They leave food, flowers and presents out this day for their loved ones who have passed on. This day is celebrated with MANY colors… every color of the rainbow, which is quite different from the typical morose black and shades of gray that are so commonly seen in funeral homes.

Who knows? Some of the cultural differences between Mexico and the US are very interesting…!

No comments:

Post a Comment