Monday, January 5, 2009

First Day!

The first day here was insane! I woke up early to get ready for work... it turns out that the office of Diario de Yucatan is in the Centro very close to the Plaza de Independencia (which is where all the happenings are)! I get to go to Centro EVERY DAY! I will be working four hours a day, five days a week to start... I think my boss did not want to overwhelm me.

It seems that I will be doing layout and design for the Yucatec magazine, Plan B. It is kind of like the local version of People. The ricos (wealthy people) that live here are a lot like movie stars, so they get news coverage on the local level. Plan B also covers important weddings and events in the wealthy social circle here in the city.

The people I will be working with are really cool. They are very young and have a lot of spunk, and they all seem to love their jobs. I will be working on a team with ten other people, each of them just as funny and agreeable as the next. My only problem will be the language barrier... I thought I would remember a lot more than I do! I was extrememly tired today and surprised at my lack of ability to communicate on the level that I was expecting of myself. I think I will need a week or so to acclimate to the Spanish-speaking environment. I found myself accidentally using English words in some of my sentences accidentally... I am definitely thinking too much in English. My hope is that I will soon be back to the level of fluency that I was when I left last year so that I can continue to improve afterward. We shall see... !

I hope all is going well with everyone in Ohio. Not to rub it in, but I am basking happily in the sunshine... 80-something degrees :) I will write more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment