Wednesday, January 7, 2009

CRIT

Today went famously! Minus the fact that I still don’t speak Spanish. I ended up getting up early and going to see a new complex called CRIT, which is a school for children with disabilities. I guess the paper is doing a story and my boss thought it would be good if I went. This place was posh to say the least… indoor pools with special handrails, jungle gyms, special rooms with special desks, and their own personal training center. Mom, you would not have liked one of the rooms there: it was dedicated to teaching children everyday skills such as making the bed and (believe it or not) hanging up a hammock. Among these skills is unlocking locks. There were two boards filled with different types of locks that they helped the children learn to use. Can you imagine Googly obtaining that secret knowledge?!

The workout facility was particularly cool. They had a special machine there that taught disabled children how to walk by training their muscle memory. The computers analyze each individual child and walk for them so that they muscles will develop “memory” of the movement. It was fascinating.

After that, I went and finished my cover proposal. I am trying to post it on this blog, but it seems I am not having much luck.

I am SO busy! I am somewhat frustrated, though because I feel like there is too much English in my life, so I am trying to remedy it as best as I can. Fellow students and coworkers want to use their English, but I don’t want to, it is too hard to switch from one language to the other.

I hope all is well. So far, the adventures have not begun yet because the weekend hasn’t arrived. I am probably going to Cozumel, however, which is a place I have never been. It will kind of be a touristy, beach-type trip, but I can’t possibly leave the Yucatan without having gone there!

See you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment