Thursday, January 29, 2009

Brand Names and Layouts

Wow, precious few have the moments been that I have not been ill here for one reason or another (so John-Curtiss, you are no longer permitted to say that your illness is due to the cold weather). The weather took a sudden change for the humid this week... and now everyone is sick! Emily and I are both sneezing up a little fury, and my nose is running like a faucet... cute!

On the brigher side, I am now doing layouts for the magazine at my work, which has been fun. A lot of it I would never consider putting into a portfolio because the Mexican style of design is so drastically different. I hope that my designing habits here aren't drastically affected by the layouts that I am doing. I think my J233 professor would have a heart attack if she saw some of the designs done here. I will try to load on my most recent project so that you all can see what exactly I mean... it looks nothing like an American magazine!

Finally, here is my little culture note: there is no such thing as copyright here. Well, there kind of is, but everything is pretty much fair game. If I pull a picture off the internet here at the magazine to be published, I don't have to cite it. In fact, there are hardly any citations in the entire magazine. Pirated DVDs and CDs are sold all over the streets here and brand names such as Coach or Armani are duplicated all the time... sometimes very convincingly. I have seen a lot of products that I am not sure if they are real or fake. (That is why you should NEVER buy any regular priced brand names here!) The DVDs and music are perfect in quality. For three dollars, you can get a disc that contains all three Pirates of the Caribbean...or three Star Wars... or any triplet that goes well together. If stores like these opened in the United States, there would be no measure how quickly your little business would be taken OUT!

Ah well. Sorry that today's entry is kind of boring. There is truly not that much to talk about since all I did yesterday was eat, sleep, and watch Twilight... which was better than the book, by the way! I am really having such a wonderful time here, though... this experience is truly singular :)

Till tomorrow, then!

No comments:

Post a Comment