Monday, March 9, 2009

Mexico and Drugs

I don't think I have yet addressed the issues of Mexico and the problems they have been having here with regard to drugs. Sometime in the last week, I received an advisory from Ohio University warning all students to avoid Mexico as a spring break location. That is a little bit uncomfortable for me becuase... I live here! Not to mention the fact that one of the people I love most will be coming down on spring break to visit me.

So what is it like? Well... it doesn't really affect my daily life. Drug violence happens a lot, and I hear about it almost right away because I work at the newspaper and because I keep up on U.S. news very closely, even while abroad. It is hard to ignore news that tells so many Americans to stay away, because I feel like I am ALREADY in the middle of it! But at the same time, it hardly feels like it at all... I live in one of the safest cities that exist.

I am not afraid to spend spring break here in Merida, simply because I feel like I am safe here. I AM nervous about the fact that John-Curtiss will be flying into Cancun, because there will be a lot of spring breakers there, and a lot of stupid people looking for trouble. It is dangerous to be in places where there are drugs... period. I am shocked and amazed at some of the fellow OU students here in Merida that are open about the fact that they are using drugs here. It is almost like asking for seven years in a Mexican jail (which is what you will get, no questions asked).

In short, as long as I am staying in a safe place, hanging out with the right people, and making smart decisions (all of which I am currently doing) I will be very safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment