Sunday, February 8, 2009

Surprise!

I was feeling a bit blue Thursday night. You see, it is a bit of a different experience to study abroad when you have a very cute, very special boyfriend back home that you miss quite a lot. I was talking to my mother on Skype in my bedroom, lementing the distance. I had talked to my boyfriend earlier that night, but our conversation had been cut all too short because he told me that he had to run off to meet a study group at the library. SUDDENLY, without any warning, I heard the sounds of a mariachi band wafting through my window from the garden outside.

'Hang on mom,' I sniffled and I hopped up from my usual Skype-spot and drew back the curtains. Outside in the garden was a full-blown mariachi band serenading me!!! I couldn't see out hardly at all... only the glinding of the brass instruments from the light of my window. At first, I didn't know WHAT to think... I wondered if John-Curtiss had perhaps set up a mariachi band and told them my address in Merida to have them serenade me. Then my heart skip´ped a beat... I began to wonder if he was out there. You see, John-Curtiss has a funny way of popping up when you need him most and least expect it. Part of me knew I was getting my hopes up, and the other part didn't really care. The 'didn't care' part won ;) I ran from my room and out the front door, pausing for a split-second to wonder whether it was worth it or not to run back and grab my keys. I ended up scampering down the steps to the side-yard, keyless, wondering what I would see when I rounded the corner.

There I saw him, in all of his sweatpants-glory in front of the mariachi band holding a red rose. I could hardly believe my eyes. I thought maybe I must have been dreaming it up. I can honestly say that I have never been so surprised in my life (even at New Year's when John-Curtiss showed up unexpectedly as well). He says that my mouth was hanging open... super attractive, right? Good thing he traveled like 12 hours to see his goldfish-girlfriend. I pretty much attacked him and didn't let go for about a year. It was so good to see him after having gone a whole month without!!! The band played five songs for us... the last of which was THE romantic song of Mexico, 'Somos Novios' (it translates to 'We Are Dating.')

Apparently, he had been planning this for weeks. He met a guy from Merida when he went on vacation to Epcot named Elias. With Elias's help, John-Curtiss managed to set up the serenade. He had come down with my roommate's boyfriend, Dave. Emily (my roomate) had to keep the whole plan a secret for a whole week. Emily, kudos. I never ever could have done it.

PS: Mom, sorry I forgot about you on the phone! When a mariachi band serenades you at your window, it is easy to get distracted. I hope you can forgive your forgetful daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment