Friday, February 27, 2009

Homesickness

So I really love it here... but unfortunately, I am having some homesickness issues. I think that part of the reason is that my family just came to visit, and I am sad that they are gone. I don't
ever recall experiencing homesickness last year, but I think last year felt more like taking classes while on vacation, while this year feels a lot more like the real world. I do not miss the food, but for pizza and lettuce, both of which are sadly lacking here... but I really do miss all of my family and friends a great deal. It makes me wonder how families can function if a loved one is away for long periods of time. I remember thinking last year that I wanted to come back and live in Mexico for a time, but I do not feel the same way this year. I WOULD LOVE to live here because of the weather, so perhaps we can just plop Ohio on the Gulf Coast as an addition to the Yucatan peninsula... but I don't really think I could be so far away from family and friends for a super long time.

Also... I miss the farm. I think that silly bull at the hacienda made me realize how homesick I am for the farm. I feel so lucky to have grown up there, and my life here is VERY urban. I try not to think about the fact that I won't be home this summer!

Don't take the wrong idea from this... I am having a great time here. This weekend I am going to the BIGGEST archeological excavation in Mexico... Calakmul. I have wanted to go there for ages, and now I am biting the bullet despite the distance. I am very pumped!! It will be a good way to distract me from my sudden attack of homesickness!

1 comment:

  1. Hola, te comprendo, a mi me pasaba lo mismo cuando regresaba de vacaciones de Tabasco, donde nací, después de unos dias pasa, pero me hiciste acordarme de mis dias de estudiante.
    Ánimo ya regresarás con tu familia.
    Saludos.
    - Luis G.

    ReplyDelete