Friday, February 20, 2009

A Giant Starfish, A Broken Shoe and a Very Red Face

Well, much that is random and humiliating has transpired since Monday….

First off, I was walking on my way to work (nearly sleeping), when I suddenly looked up, and there in front of me stood a giant, fuzzy blue starfish. It was maybe six feet tall, had big googly eyes, and was dancing up and down in front of me.

“Hola,” I said shyly, and began to walk past the spastic starfish.

“Wait!” I heard someone call as I was walking away. The giant starfish was frolicking in pursuit of me with a small stick of bamboo planted in a shot-glass full of green jelly.

I am not sure it gets any more random than that.

In any case, the bamboo is now happily sitting on my window sill, soaking up the sun… and whatever is in that green jelly.

Also, I face-planted in the centro. I was wearing my new wedges, which are all the rage here, and I was walking down the sidewalk of the centro. One minute, I was upright, and the next minute, I was in the ground with a very red face and a very broken shoe. I spent about a half an hour hobbling to a shoe store where I bought a pair of flip flops.

Finally, and perhaps most embarrassing… I told off my boss without even knowing I did it. Now that takes skill. The people I work with are very young, and they happen to use a lot… gross terms. I have been pretty good about keeping up with the degree of crudeness associated with each particular word. Unfortunately, something fell through. We all tease each other a lot, so when my boss feigned being nerdy, I called him a loser. Only I didn’t call him a loser, I called him… something very bad. Very bad indeed. His jaw dropped. At first he thought it was funny, but then he seemed really offended. I spent the rest of the day buried in InDesign projects, hoping that no one would notice that my face never turned back to the normal color. John-Curtiss congratulated me, telling me that it takes most people 10 YEARS to tell off their bosses. I only needed 10 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment